Submit your films!
Submissions are now open for The Other Film Festival 2016!
To submit your film click here to visit the Withoutabox site.
All films must be by, with or about people with a disability, or who are Deaf or hard of hearing.
Film submission categories
- International & Australian films,
- Deaf International & Australian films
Film submission deadlines & fees
- Earlybird deadline: June 1, 2016. No fee!
- Regular deadline: July 1, 2016. $15 full / $10 student fee
Short film submission categories
- Australian shorts by emerging filmmakers (max 5 minutes)
- Youth – Australian shorts (max 5 minutes)
- Regular deadline: July 1, 2016. It is FREE to submit for the short film categories.
What is happening in 2016?
In 2016 The Other Film Festival will be running from Wednesday 28 September until Friday 30 September! The festival venue is Experimedia, at the State Library of Victoria.
Last year The Other Film Festival conducted a strategic review. We hosted a community consultation, and received feedback from the community about the festival and its future direction.
The feedback we received showed overwhelmingly that the festival is much valued by the community for its role in creating an inclusive and welcoming event where the lived experience of deafness and disability is celebrated.
Based on the feedback we received we have implemented a number of changes, including
• A shorter main festival event of 3 days length
• Individual screening pods will be available in Nebula, Arts Access Victoria’s mobile arts space for festival visitors to view in their own time and at their own pace
• A targeted screening program, with a different theme being selected for the festival in each festival year
• The creation of an Ambassadors group. Ambassadors will be selected to represent a cross-section of the festival audience. They will share feedback from their communities with the festival, and share information about festival events within their communities
A new Festival Director has been appointed for 2016. Mija Gwyn is a member of the Deaf community and has prior experience in coordinating film festivals, having coordinated Deaffest, the UK’s Deaf Film and Arts Festival in 2012.
Mija’s experience will be used to advantage, with the theme selected for 2016 being the culture and experiences of the Deaf community.
The screening program will have four streams; the Deaf program, recently released Australian films, highlights from the festival back catalogue and a showcase for local young and emerging filmmakers.
What is The Other Film Festival?
The Other Film Festival is the big party where everyone gets invited. The festival programs the very best new cinema about the lived experience of disability from around the world. The festival screens these films in the most accessible way possible, delivering global best practice in meeting the access requirements of all patrons. All speeches are Auslan interpreted, all films are captioned, all films are audio described and the venue is fully accessible. Inclusive, accessible and welcoming, the festival reveals how disability looks right now.
Want to know what happened at the festival in 2014? Download the report for the 2014 festival by clicking here.
Hate missing out?
Make sure you subscribe to our mailing list to make sure you are in the loop for the latest news, announcements and more giveaways.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Other Film Festival is supported by the Australian Government.
Public Partners City of Melbourne, Film Victoria and Screen Australia
Festival Partners Melbourne Fringe Festival and State Library of Victoria
Festival Supporters US Embassy, Ericcson Australia & Turquoise iAuslan
Arts Access Victoria gratefully acknowledges the financial support of Arts Victoria, Australia Council for the Arts, Department of Human Services